Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Flexibility Challenge (or “The Parable of the Stiff Joint”)

I have always loved physical movement, the great outdoors, and athletics. A consistent limiter to my enjoyment of these activities, especially in recent years, has been a glaring lack of suppleness, flexibility, and joint elasticity.

And folks, I’m talking serious lack of flexibility!

Due to tightness of the hips, I can’t comfortably sit cross-legged on the floor. I can’t make either of my feet touch my glutes due to knee stiffness. I come laughably far from being able to keep my legs straight and touch my fingers to the ground. I can’t sit in a chair and cross my left leg over my right knee.

Such lack of flexibility has made some of my favorite things less delightful.

Backpacking is among my favorite things, but given my joint mobility issues, downhill movements are killers. And, given that most mountain treks include a combination of uphills (which aren’t all that much fun, either) and downhills, that’s a problem.

The other physical activity that I have greatly enjoyed since 2008 is Crossfit, an exercise regimen that involves a combination of gymnastics, bodyweight exercises (pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, etc…), Olympic lifting (snatch, clean and jerk), weightlifting (deadlifts, squats, and presses), along with running, jump roping, rope-climbing and other such fun.

Again, my inflexible body greatly inhibits full range of motion in lots of these exercises, and that, too, is a problem.

So, on occasion, I try to loosen tight joints with stretches, foam rollers, and hard rubber balls placed at strategically located and notably inflexible spots on my anatomy. I’ve tried yoga a few times. I even bought a very expensive book (BECOMING A SUPPLE LEOPARD by Kelly Starrett - an excellent book, by the way) that includes a physical therapist’s counsel on how to become, well, supple. You know, like a leopard.

I’ve noticed something both interesting and disturbing about this lack-of-flexibility thing. It’s getting worse as I’m getting older.

I’ve never been extremely supple, even in earlier years, but the lack thereof wasn’t all that noticeable when I played basketball, golfed, or ran track in my twenties, thirties and even into my forties.

In my thirties, distance running was my exercise of choice. Putting one foot in front of the other for miles and miles didn’t require tremendous range of motion, so I did fine. (I’m suspicious that one of the major reasons for my world-class lack of flexibility NOW is my inattention to flexibility during the many years when my primary exercise was running long distances at a constant speed. That sort of exercise is a profoundly repetitive process that - without some intentionality to avoid it - greatly reduces range of motion in joints. The problem wasn't running, per se, but my refusal to work to remain limber while running.)

But now, deep into my 50’s, I’m playing with younger men’s activities, and my stiffening joints could end up being show-stoppers.

If I don’t get flexible, I won’t be able to keep camping. If I don’t get flexible, I won't be able to lift well, sprint, or jump high. So, I’ll keep stretching and “flossing” tight muscles for sustained performance for a few more years.

I’m not embarrassed to be so concerned about my physical fitness. We all only get one bod per life, so it’s a good idea to give it care and attention. But there is a grander point to this reflection on the physical than simply the physical. That's why my post's sub-title is, “The Parable of the Stiff Joint.”

Lack of flexibility can be a problem, PERSONALLY, as well as PHYSICALLY.

A willingness to adapt to changing realities, an ability to “bend over backwards” to serve a new generation, and a penchant for doing new things AND for doing old things in new ways is as necessary to a personal life as hip flexion is to an effective squat or a mobile shoulder joint is to a winning snatch or supple knee joints are to a scramble down Rocky Mountain talus.

The process that I’m following to attain a supple physical state is a generally painful combination of stretching, use of resistance bands and foam rollers, and “flossing” the muscles to gain peak range of motion.

Becoming a PERSONALLY flexible person will involve, likewise, a generally painful process. Specifically…

1). Stretching to understand the other person’s point of view. It will mean going out of my way to get to know people with whom I currently disagree and working hard to see how they have come to conclusions different from mine. Personal stretching will involve hanging with conservatives and progressives and libertarians, befriending Muslims and the homeless, and listening to NPR while also reading the Wall Street Journal.

I certainly have no interest in becoming an intellectual bowl of mush, a man without convictions. Not at all! It’s just that meaningful convictions will stand the fire of real engagement with others who have differing convictions - and that kind of engagement is a stretching experience.

2). Trying new things. Intentionally placing myself in situations where I am uncomfortable (what the exercise industry calls “muscle confusion”) will lead to personal leopard-like suppleness.

To combat personal rigidity I’m putting some “soul confusing” lifestyle choices into my immediate future.

I’m planning to explore some personal spiritual disciplines and ministry initiatives that I’ve not tried for a long time. I’m excited about them.

In addition, I’ve dreamed for years of writing a book (and actually have several themes I’d like to develop). Now, I have the makings of a plan to attempt an actual writing project.

As well, I intend to pursue some key relationships in ways that I hope will be revolutionary and transformational.

These new ways of approaching life have the potential of increasing my personal range of motion. Getting out of familiar ruts will require a trust in God deeper than I have known for some time and will hopefully, prayerfully, God-willing (!), change me into a loving man God might be pleased to use more powerfully in the future than He has been able to in the past.

With increasing years comes a tendency to lose flexibility. With Jesus, it need not be so. The Apostle Paul assures us that we need not lose hope for progress, for while [2 Corinthians 4:16] our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.



1 comment:

  1. In response, I:
    - Love that you love CrossFit.
    - Think it's great that you're putting such intentional effort into your Personal Flexibility. Great idea.
    - Wonder if you've ever heard of this quote: "Tomorrow's illiterate will not be the man who can't read; he will be the man who has not learned how to learn." (I've seen a few variations of this quote.) Seems like the people who live a full life until their dying day are the ones who never stop learning and changing something about their lives.
    - Hope we get a chance to hang out next time I'm in town!

    ReplyDelete